Re: postgresql 6.5.3 vs. debian

"Keith G. Murphy" wrote:
> > to get me up-to-date on postgresql 6.5.3, Jeff Noxon recommended:
> >
> >         # apt-get install postgresql
> >         [snip]
> >         Setting up postgresql (6.3.2-15) ...
> >
> > which is exactly the version i already had.
>
> It's probably because you were still pointing to 'stable' and got its
> latest version of postgresql.
> Add this line to your /etc/apt/sources.list:
>
> deb ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian frozen main contrib non-free
>
> Or wherever your favorite mirror is, just pointing it to frozen is the
> important thing.
>
> Then:
>
> apt-get update   <--(*not* upgrade)
>
> So your system will be aware of all the latest packages.
>
> Now:
>
> apt-get install postgresql
>
> should work.  I believe the upgrade process prompts you to be sure
> you've dumped your former databases, but you might want to do it ahead
> of time just to be sure...

holy mackerel! i can see! i can see!

i'm sure that two year from now, in the sanitarium, osmosis
would've kicked in and i'd have been able to know which
manpages to go to and which commands to configure... but for
now, i feel like i'm in a twisted maze of little passages,
all different.

mucho thanks!

===

of course, nothing can go perfectly smoothly--here's how it
ended:

# apt-get install postgresql
<yada yada>

Run postgresql-dump to dump the old database and to reload
it in the new format.
*** READ /usr/share/doc/postgresql/README.Debian.migration.gz FIRST! ***

The version 6.5 postmaster cannot be started until
this is done.
ps: unknown long option
usage:  ps acehjlnrsSuvwx{t<tty>|#|O[-]u[-]U..} \
           --sort:[-]key1,[-]key2,...
           --help gives you this message
           --version prints version information

so now i gotta figure out how to get the old postgres out
(there's no useful data, i could just ditch the /var/postgres/data
directory but i'm sure that'd break something, right) and then
get the new one in...

===

why did i try the *deb/*rpm method? why, i simply read
the documentation...

part of where i got misdirected, i suppose, was from
doc/debian/FAQ/debian-faq-10.html and others like it.

"yank a *deb", it recommends, "and then dpkg to install it".

document is probably from 1943 or so.

===

speaking of which, i'm looking at
doc/HOWTO/mini/Hard-Disk-Upgrade.html
to get a second hard drive going. is that
page up-to-date or should i look elsewhere?