Upgrading X (without buggering up desalect?)

Hello,

I have a nice new 8MB Savage4 Pro. XFree 3.3.2 does not support it - I need a newer version of X. Seems Debian's getting a bit behind the times of late (? - well over a year since the last full release!) and there's no deb packages for newer X (for slink (2.1), that is, current stable).

So, does this mean I have to upgrade X manually, and if so, will this screw up dselect?

Hints appreciated, before I resort to other distros!

Martin