Re: Partitioning

Quoting Chan Chee Seng (gageek@myrealbox.com):

> 1GB NTFS(for WinNT)
>
> 1GB Fat(for file sharing between NT and Linux)

Seems a bit big (though obviously only you know how you're going to
use it). Think about whether lots of stuff is going to sit there
or whether it's just a staging post.

> 1GB ext2 (Debian Slink)
> which is broken down to
>
> 	150MB /

I use 32MB when the following four are broken out. It's 50% full,
and 30% inodes in use (default inodes/size ratio).

> 	150MB /var
> 	100MB /home
> 	40MB  /tmp

You could share these perhaps in one partition. var will be big when
you install, but you won't have much in home at that time.

>  the rest   /usr

Enough for all my slink machines. I don't know about my needs for
potato.

> is there a better way to config the above?  I know DUnix can configure the
> /var and /usr to be on the same partition(not soft link) is it possible to
> do it in debian?

Create your / and /usr partitions in the usual way during installation,
then (where foo (I use the hostname) is the attractive name for the
mount point):

Initialise linux partition /dev/XdXN (whatever you're up to)
Mount point /foo (creates /target/foo).

Switch to console 2

cd /target/foo
mkdir var
mkdir tmp
mkdir home
cd /target
ln -s foo/var var
ln -s foo/tmp tmp
ln -s foo/home home

Back to console 1

Partition sizes are a very individual matter, depending on the use for
the machine. You'll only ever get guidance and caveats, not answers.

Cheers,