Re: no wonder...

On Wed, Apr 05, 2000 at 07:09:04PM +0100, David Wright wrote:
> Quoting pumpkins@dizzy.ee.itb.ac.id (pumpkins@dizzy.ee.itb.ac.id):

> > Another thing, is the dselect program: it is quite
> > difficult to use...
>
> Yes, ever more difficult too as the number of packages increases.
> But what dselect disguises is an excellent package management tool.
> You might find apt a better front-end to use. Try man apt-get.

They aren't equivalent.  Apt is fine for installing programs, but for
*deciding* what to install, it's useless.  I find myself using
dselect to search package descriptions, then installing through apt.
Sometimes I use lynx or links and search the Debian web site for the
program name, then install with apt.  Either is unnecessarily clumsy.
--
Carl Fink		carlf@dm.net
Manager, Dueling Modems Computer Forum