Re: Help About Pine

Oswald Buddenhagen <ob6@inf.tu-dresden.de> wrote:

[attribution lost]
>> Hi I want to add a code to my signature if is there any one who knows how
>> I can do it please tell me for example I want to attach todays date or
>> random test to my signature ..
>
>hehe - i had this idea, too.
>i don't know, if there is a "legitimate" way do auto-run a script, which
>outputs a .sig directly to pine, but there are some workarounds:
>basic idea: a script, which completely rewrites the ~/.sig when run.
>you can tell cron to run it daily or hourly or whenever.
>another nice idea is to write a wrapper for pine (or whatever mailer).
>this wrapper would first run the sig-modificator (or do the actions
>itself) and then exec the real mailer.

This is a fairly common thing to want to do. One good way is to make
your editor a script that rewrites your ~/.signature and then invokes
your real editor. Another possibility is to make ~/.signature a FIFO
(named pipe, see 'man mkfifo'), but last time I tried doing this with
pine it didn't seem to work.

Some programs will let you set the path to your signature file to be
something like '|/path/to/signature-program', but I don't know if pine
will let you do this.

You might want to have a look at some of the Debian packages which deal
with random signatures, like signify and sigrot. There used to be ones
which advertised themselves as using named pipes (gensig?), but I can't
find them at the moment.

--
Colin Watson                                           [cjw44@cam.ac.uk]