Re: Can't find XF86Setup, and other dselect questions..

Once upon a time, I heard Gregory Guthrie say

> I have an old (pre-2.x) system, upgraded to 2.0, then 2.1, 2.1R4.
>
> 1) I wanted to move into X GUI, and have a lot of X11 stuff under
> /usr/X11R6/...
> but do not have XF86Setup.
Use xf86config instead.

> I ran dselect from my 2.1 disk (Essential Debian), and from both of my
> 2.1R4 disks, but found no X11 stuff on any of them.
May be on 2nd CD, couldn't remember since I usually use apt http/ftp,
sometimes dselect/apt.

> I tried to point dselect to www.debian/org via FTP, but it wanted to
> download 70+ MB, so I declined.
have you used apt or apt-method in dselect??
> I had assumed it would only download a few upgrades, and/or give me a
> selection option of packages before such a big download.
Yes, put package on hold.

> Seems like this should be easy, what am I missing?
Easy way is to use apt, and put unwant package on hold.

Try sth like

apt-get update; apt-get install xserver-svga

After you configure XF86Config, X should run, IIRC, at least with X. Install
your prefer X11 software after that.

> 2) If I put in various CDroms, does dselect remember what programs are
> available on each, or do I need to roll all of them through each time I
> want to find something?
I think dselect does remember things, but you have to have dselect-multicd
installed. Better way is apt, via apt-cdrom.

> 3) I see that Debian 2.1 is not Linux 2.2, but is 2.0.30; I want to get
> proper parport printer/Zip sharing, which seems to be in Kernel 2.2, what
> is the easiest way to get this.
Since you have slink, install kernel-package and roll your own latest
2.2.15pre16 should be a good idea.

> 4) On initial boot, we got a nice dselect'ish menu, "what type of install
> to do, .." with a default set of packages. Is there a dselect option for this?
Couldn't remember what is that question for!

| Chanop Silpa-Anan                          <chanop@writeme.com>             |
| Australian National University                                              |
| got sparetime ?                                                             |
| http://kenji.anu.edu.au/                                                    |
|          Debian GNU/Linux           GPG key on request                      |