newusers file format

Hello:

Has anyone used the 'newusers' command to suck in a bunch of new users
and their passwords from a text file?

The users do not currently have accounts on the system, so I can't use
chpasswd.

I built a new Debian box, and have all my users and passwords in a text
file. I want to add them in bulk, plus have the home directories
created, etc.

man newusers is absolutely no help whatsoever. I'm stuck on the input
file format.

Thanks much,
Mark

Mark A. Bialik                                          (414) 290-6749
Network/Security Manager                          http://www.linux.org
Infinity HealthCare, Inc.               mbialik@infinityhealthcare.com
Mequon, WI USA                  Debian/GNU Linux Documentation Project