Re: zip and parport printer sharing??

Quoting Gregory Guthrie (guthrie@mum.edu):
> At 07:14 PM 04/03/2000 +0100, David Wright wrote:
> >Quoting Anthony Campbell (a.campbell@doctors.org.uk):
> > >
> > > I don't use modules. I have my printer connected through the Zip drive
> > > and I can use either or both without problems. This is with kernel
> > > 2.2.14.
> >
> >Yes, that's what I would expect with 2.2 kernels, as in the
> >HOWTO that Gregory quoted. But I presume that without modules,
> >you have to make sure that the zip drive is present when you
> >boot. Or can you use any of the scsiutils to get round this?
>
> I'm not sure what is indicated to do with the modules, or if it is indeed
> necessary; any more details available? :-)

Modprobe or insmod them (ppa and lp) but not both at the same time.

> I use Debian 2.1R4, is this a 2.2 kernel?

If you don't know, then it's unlikely to be, because you would have
had to compile it. But uname -r will tell you.

> My boot time dmesg says:

> scsi0 : PPA driver version 0.26 using 4-bit mode on port 0x378.
> scsi : 1 host.
>    Vendor: IOMEGA    Model: ZIP 100           Rev: D.06
>    Type:   Direct-Access                      ANSI SCSI revision: 02
> Detected scsi removable disk sda at scsi0, channel 0, id 6, lun 0
> scsi : detected 1 SCSI disk total.
> sda : READ CAPACITY failed.
> sda : status = 0, message = 00, host = 0, driver = 28
> sda : extended sense code = 2
> sda : block size assumed to be 512 bytes, disk size 1GB.
> Partition check:
>   sda:scsidisk I/O error: dev 08:00, sector 0
>   unable to read partition table
> lp: Driver configured but no interfaces found.

So the zip drive was switched on at the time (but no disk).

If you're using a stock kernel, I presume ppa and lp are modules,
and that you installed then in the installation program, ie, both
are therefore mentioned in /etc/modules.

You could remove their names and either insert them manually at
appropriate times, or rely on kerneld to do it for you when you
print or mount a zip disk.

Cheers,