Re: Which group to use: staff or users?

> I want to give (most) all of my users write access to a directory so I
> checked what the staff group owns and what permissions are set.  Among
> very few other things, just about everything in `/usr/local' has group
> staff write permissions.  I do not fancy giving everybody the power to
> mess up `/usr/local'.  One option would be to change group permissions
> there, but scanning `/etc/group' I noticed the `users' group.  It does
> not own anything (yet) so it looks like a good alternative.

users is the default group for ordinary users, so it is a really bad idea
to give to much power to it.
staff is a group for operators (or similar), so it has medium power,
e.g. it might install programs in /usr/local (a far as i understand the
idea).
i suggest you to create an own group and set the directory's gid to
it. put all the "privileged" users in that group.

Linux - the last service pack you'll ever need.