Re: Set user ID on execution

On Mon, Apr 03, 2000 at 07:57:33AM -0500, W. Paul Mills wrote:
> Brad <lists@anomie.ods.org> wrote:
>

> : I'm not sure about mount, but it seems to need root permission to be
> : able to tell the kernel to mount/umount a filesystem (if i understand
> : these sources correctly... ;)
>

> Unless you give user access in /etc/fstab.

It looks to me like the kernel mount functions require root permissions
(actually, it requires a particular capability, but...). The user option
in /etc/fstab just tells the mount utility to proceed with the system
call (as root, because it's suid) even if it wasn't run by root.

--
  finger for GPG public key.