Re: Boot mystery

Joe Bouchard ask for clarification:

Hi,

>Please spell it out for us (the telepathy is weak):
>/dev/hdc1 = what? how big?
>     hdc2 =
>     hdc5 =
>     hdc6 =

>Map it right out for us . . .

That was the problem, there was no hdc1, only hdc3 (Ext2) hdc2 (LILO) and
hdc5 (swap)

OK... I went in and had a long look at the hard drive in question with
partition magic and realized that there was 3.2 megs of frees pace before
the Ext2 file system on the planned partition.  This is why the Ext2
partition was designated hdc5, and LILO was put on hdc2.  I say this
because as soon as I merged the frees pace into the Ext2 file system, and
re-created the partition, it became "primary" and was designated hdc1 and
the swap partition then became hdc5.

Incidentally, about LILO, when the partitions are set up correctly it seems
the Debian install dialog as suggested in a previous post, i.e. NO-NO-YES
actually appears to be YES-YES-NO if you're going to be using your own boot
manager (bootmagic in this case) and that previous business of the strange
partition for LILO (hdc2) didn't occur.

Summation:  If the Linux file system/partition is set to PRIMARY, instead
of LOGICAL the Debian installation goes a lot smoother, and if you're using
a boot manager it "sees" this partition with no problems and LILO which is
also put in the right place, then does its job.

Apropos to nothing but would this technique work if you used Ranish
partition manager to make "primary" or "active" a DOS (FAT16) partition
that just happened to be designated as drive D: and you wanted to install
there, DR-DOS but it only cared for C:\  In other words: does anyone know
how to "fool" DR-DOS into thinking the D: drive is the C: drive.  The
DR-DOS people are singularly unhelpful about answering one's questions
outside the normal install method.  I know that I read somewhere that Unix
people can do this.

Would be awfully thankful for a tip on that.

C.K.

-