Re: Su && Development Packages

Bart Szyszka said:

>> Why don't you get the package tasksel (for potato) and look for
>> yourself?
>> Besides, this is what the task-devel-* packages (again from potato) are
>> for; they're probably the best answer to your question.
>
>Thanks! That sounds like exactly what I needed.
>
>> >And please don't give me ridiculous answers like "download the packages
>> >the app requires".
>> For most people this isn't a ridiculous answer; if you're compiling a
>> program then (assuming some development experience) it's *common*
>> *sense* to have the development packages associated with whatever that
>> program depends on.
>
>Right, but what we're not talking about compiling one specific program in
>general. We're talking about compiling programs. One FAQ I saw actually
>only said something to the effect of "get gcc" for "What do I need to
>compile programs"? That's horrendously absurd! gcc is not the only thing
>you need to "compile programs".

And then, of course, when you actually go to grab gcc or g++ it fails with a 404:

% more apt-errors
Reading Package Lists...
Building Dependency Tree...
Sorry, binutils is already the newest version
Sorry, bison is already the newest version
Sorry, gdb is already the newest version
Sorry, libc6-dev is already the newest version
Sorry, make is already the newest version

  cpp libstdc++2.10-dev
  binutils-dev cpp g++ gcc libstdc++2.10-dev

0 packages upgraded, 5 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 2392kB/2625kB of archives. After unpacking 7827kB will be used.

Do you want to continue? [Y/n]

Err http://http.us.debian.org frozen/main cpp 1:2.95.2-7
  404 Not Found
Err http://http.us.debian.org frozen/main g++ 1:2.95.2-7
  404 Not Found
Err http://http.us.debian.org frozen/main gcc 1:2.95.2-7
  404 Not Found
Err http://http.us.debian.org frozen/main libstdc++2.10-dev 1:2.95.2-7
  404 Not Found

With the sources.list:

# /etc/apt/sources.list
deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian frozen main contrib non-free
deb http://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US frozen/non-US main contrib non-free
deb http://security.debian.org frozen/updates main contrib non-free

# Uncomment if you want the apt-get source function to work
deb-src http://http.us.debian.org/debian frozen main contrib non-free
deb-src http://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US frozen non-US

Using Potato. Maybe I'm just too sleepy, and I'm getting silly.

Brian