Re: Boot mystery

On Sun, Mar 26, 2000 at 01:21:57PM -0600, Charlie Kroeger wrote:
> Hi, got a problem...
>
> I've installed Debian 2.1 i386 on my second hard drive in a file system and
> a swap file I created with partition magic.
>
> I installed Debian by booting with a windows boot disk with a CD ROM driver
> and then loaded Debian from the CD.  Everything went well. The installation
> "found" my file system and created a partition called /dev/hdc5.  The swap
> was activated and given the designation: /dev/hdc6 and when it came to
> installing LILO, I agreed to what the installation suggested: /dev/dev/hdc2

Hi,

Please spell it out for us (the telepathy is weak):
/dev/hdc1 = what? how big?
     hdc2 =
     hdc5 =
     hdc6 =

Map it right out for us . . .

A couple of things you probably know, but I will say it again anyway:

- There is a rule about the kernel has to be in the first 1024 cylinders
  of the disk. On older bios this means 512mb, on newer ones, 8gb.

- If you have 2 or more IDE drives (including a cdrom) the kernel must
  be on one of the first 2 IDE drives.  So, if you have an /dev/hda hard
  drive, a /dev/hdb cdrom, you can't put linux on hdc.  Try swapping hdb
  and hdc.

--

Thank you,
Joe Bouchard