Re: Limiting user access in ftp, ssh, samba, etc... 'passwords'

On Tue, Mar 28, 2000 at 02:47:57PM +0200, Christian Surchi wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 27, 2000 at 05:34:45PM -0900, Ethan Benson wrote:
> > read the rest of my message!  yes i am familier with it, its fine for
> > *nix users and for the paranoid on lessor OSes, but when it comes to
> > telling *users* of say MacOS to give up thier pretty GUI drag and
> > drop, point and drool ftp clients for scp (which works completly
> > different, and to them is very clumsy (which it is on a GUI)) your not
> > going to get a very desireable response.
>
> I don't use mac, but I saw a nice interface to ssh and scp too, in mac
> style. Its name is Nifty telnet, if I remember correctly.

i am aware of it, however it is not considered good enough to replace
anarchie (ftp) by mac users.  (they are most stubborn)

> > only the most powerful and invulnerable BOFH could pull off a forced
> > migration from ftp -> scp ;-)
>
> I don't think so. I saw a departmentet leaving telnet/ftp for ssh/scp. Ftp
> must be only anonymous. If you give instruments for transition, is is
> really possible. :-)

for some, it depend son how stubborn the users are and how powerful
root is :-)

is it possible to create the equivilent to chrooted ftp with scp? like
an anonymous ftp but for non-anonymous users.