Re: kernel config question(s)

> Also, the firewall configuration tool at
> http://linux-firewall-tools.com/linux/firewall/index.html
> generated a file with lines such as:
>
>     # Enable always defragging Protection
>     sysctl -w net.ipv4.ip_always_defrag=1
>
> The utility states that the firewall will work on
> Redhat boxes.  Is that sysctl line a utility that
> is common only to Redhat?  To use this on Debian I
> would assume that the line changes to
>
>    echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_always_defrag

I have sysctl on my Debian box running potato.  It is only available to root.

> Is this correct, or am I missing something?  There
> are other config lines like this, not only the
> ip_always_defrag.
>
> Overall, I'm just trying to understand what might
> affect my machines after any upgrades, especially
> kernel upgrades.  Wading through all the docs gets
> somewhat tedious at times.

Frankly I dont play with firewalling.  Perhaps another mail with a more direct
subject will help.  Like "what is ip_always_defrag in the kernel and do I want
it"?  People scan debian-user and respond to subjects that catch their eye.
The volume here is fairly high.