Re: xf86config

Sounds like you need to add some lines to the .xinitrc file in your home
directory.  If it's not there, create one.  A good start would be
something like this:

xterm &
<window manager>

Of course, substitute whatever window manager you want to use (e.g.
sawmill, enlightenment, fvwm2, etc.)  If you want gnome, use something
like this:

xterm &
<window manager> &
panel &
gnome-session

This assumes you've already installed things like xterm, gnome-panel,
gnome-core, gnome-session, and other gnome goodies.  Good luck!

--

Brian J. Stults
Doctoral Candidate