Re: debian install

On Sun, Mar 26, 2000 at 12:09:34PM -0600, Richard McNally wrote:
> Debian,
> I bought debian thinking it was a purist Open Source product.

Well you were right then.

> However, I got it home and can't get beyond installing the base system.
> The product hangs and gives a message like"a problem occurred when
> installing Base System..."

I can get my car's doors open, but when I turn the key, it makes a funny
noise.  Can you tell me what's wrong ?

> Any suggestions? I bought  O'Reilly's "learning Debinan" with the cd
> in back; same thing there as on the debian boxed product, advertised
> btw as "the last linux os you will ever need to buy" O yeah?  Nothing
> on support, nothing in the books, nothing on FAX. Do you guys support
> this product at all?

Are you joking ?  I didn't see a smiley.  Many people give their time
and expertise free of charge by designing a product you don't need that
much support for in the first place (depending on your clue quotient)
or offering free advice in forums like this.

If you want to pay someone to come round and fix your machine based on
the fact that you bought a book about a product that costs nothing
anyway, then good luck.  Does the book tell you this will happen ?
I doubt it.

However, there are plenty of companies that would be delighted to take
your money for exactly this service.  But I wouldn't give up on your own
abilities combined with this no-charge forum's advice first.

You have a problem caused by the hardware (unlikely), the software
(unlikely) or you ( ... well, you decide).

>From the description you give above, it could be a million different
problems with a million solutions.  We could either send you the
aforementioned million solutions, which the list would rightly object
to, or you could help the situation by telling us exactly what you did,
what happened as a result and what exact error message you get.
A desription of your machine (disk configuration, RAM, processor,
peripherals, etc.) would not go amiss.

My advice would be to re-read (or read) the documentation, try it again,
noting what you're doing, and if you still get the same problem, post
again.  Politely.  We're not responsible for your confusion with a
commercial book's advertising remarks.  If you want to understand
Debian's raison d'etre, then go to http://www.debian.org/ and get it
from the horses mouth.

P.S. Welcome to Debian !

--