Last chance: unresolved symbols and depmod weirdness

Last chance to help me before I reformat the blasted thing and reinstall
Slink (I will probably NEVER install potato, so far it's a piece of, well
you know...)

I recompiled a 2.0.36 kernel, of course I had to use gcc 2.72.  I copied
System.map all over known creation, made modules_install did depmod and
update-modules, everything seemed fine, until I reboot.  Now I get 7
BAZILLION unresolved symbol references.  I figured it's crufty, right?  So I
blew away the modules directory for 2.0.36, redid make modules_install and
reboot.

Now no matter how much I depmod, it replaces the modules.dep with some old
version (from where???  It's about 5 and a half hours old -- I was nowhere
near my machine at that time; and it doesn't correlate to any kind of UTC
time or anything like that) and complains about what it just did. (it says
"You FOOL!  /etc/modules.conf is more recent than
/lib/modules/2.0.36/modules.dep!") Finally I ran depmod, then did chattr +i
modules.dep on the stupid thing.  Before I rebooted they were the exact same
time.

Please tell me I'm a moron and I'm clearly not running *command x*.  Please
tell me something...  It's getting so blowing the thing away and
reinstalling takes less time and frustration.

Help!

--
Jonathan Markevich <jmarkevich@mad.scientist.com>
http://members.xoom.com/JMarkevich

I'm not denyin' the women are foolish: God Almighty made 'em to match the men.
		-- George Eliot