Re: Last chance: unresolved symbols and depmod weirdness

> I recompiled a 2.0.36 kernel, of course I had to use gcc 2.72.  I copied
> System.map all over known creation, made modules_install did depmod and
> update-modules, everything seemed fine, until I reboot.  Now I get 7
> BAZILLION unresolved symbol references.  I figured it's crufty, right?  So I
> blew away the modules directory for 2.0.36, redid make modules_install and
> reboot.

just an idea: did you a "make dep clean" before "make install etc." when
making the kernel?

and why depmod makes such weird things ...
run "rm /lib/modules/2.0.36/modules.dep" - possibly it's write-protected
or such thing.

your question, why all the geniuses are silent: we don't have your system
in front of us. give a root login to somebody you trust and your problem
will probably be fixed within minutes. we (mostly) are no clairvoyants.

Linux - the last service pack you'll ever need.