Re: Help Meeeeeee!

In a message dated 3/14/00 3:10:47 PM Eastern Standard Time,
mwagnon1@home.com writes:

> On 03/14/00 02:47PM, DanSV@aol.com wrote:
>  > I have the 2.2.14 kernal running, and can't see all of my ram:
>  > DIMM1: 128mb PC100 DIMM2: 32mb PC100 DIMM3: <EMPTY>
>  > I see 64 mb.  The system bios detects 162 and change.
>  > (If of use: I have oboard 3D AGP graphics sharing 8mb main memory.)
>  >
>  > Help!
>  >
>  > (If adding something to /etc/lilo.conf will help, please show EXACT
syntax

>  > and position within the file)
>
>  You can add a line to your lilo.conf file like so:
>
>     append="mem=128M"
>
>  I've always seen it before the sections describing the images to
>  boot. I don't know if it makes a difference, though.
>
>  I'm not sure what's up with your BIOS.

Thanks, Here is what the problem was, and the solution.  Your suggestion of
128mb worked, but other people would suggest 160 and 162 megs, which would
cause a kernal panic:

Total Ram: 160 + 2 and change extra reported by bios.
->Total Ram: 160M
OnBoard 8mb AGP Graphics: 8M of Total Ram
Thus, Availible RAM to linux: 152M

When I tried 152M
(append="mem=152M")
it worked!
However 153 would kernal panic, as would anything over.  Anything under would
work.

Therefore, If you have X total RAM, and Y onboard Graphics memory, and only
see a fraction of your total RAM, go into /etc/lilo.conf, and copy your
default entry,
paste it below, and add the line:
append="mem=#M"
where # = X - Y
label it exper.
type in "exper" at the lilo prompt.  If everything boots ok, delete exper fro
lilo.conf, and add the append line to your default.

- Dan