root unknown

Hiya

i have a laptop i got from work which has Red Hat on it... i know this is a
debian news-group but the question is not linux specific....

How can i reset the root password.  I do not want to have to reinstall to
gain control of this system.  I know a couple of logons on the system but i
do not have root.

I heard something about rebooting and holding down the shift/ctrl keys...
I did that and it stopped at the lilo prompt...when i didn't enter anything
it just loaded up as per normal.

At the lilo prompt is there a way to load up linux in a different init
state.  Perhaps that is what needs to be done.

Thanx

Zane