Keyboard screws up with Midnight Commander

Hi folks

This is driving me crazy... since some time now I won't get MC to learn
my keys
correctly.
Since I'm german, first I thought it might have something to do with the
umlauts, but
this seems to be wrong. I finally managed to get bash to accept these
and it didn't help

Ok, so here's what happens:

I call up the "learn keys" menu and start hacking in the keys.
Everything seems all right
until I try the teach MC the <DEL> key. If I do this, the dialog closes
instantly and from
this moment all F??-keys, the cursor keys and <INS><DEL><HOME> etc.
produce strange
output like [3~ etc.

Maybe anyone got an idea???

Richard