X update problem

I have an ATI Rage 128 Pro card and I'm using slink.  I edited my
source.lists to point to www.debian.org/~vincent xfree-update main.

I did an apt-get update and then an apt-get upgrade.  Everything seemed
to work, I received one warning "/usr/x11R6/lib/x11/doc symbolic link
points to the wrong place."

I tried to run xf86setup but it could not find the command.  I went
into dselect and xf86setup was not installed.  When I went to install
it, I was connected again to ~vincent.  The packages to be installed
were:

xserver-common, xfonts-75dpi, xfonts-base, xlib6g, xserver-vga16

I then answered the prompts according to my O'reilly book and my PC's
equipment.  Everything went fine until the testing phase.  I received
the following:

"x: exec of /usr/bin/x11/sf86.svga failed"
"/var/lib/info/xserver-vga16.postint:kill:(416) - No such pid"

"x server work properly?"  I answered n
"Checking /etc/x11/xf86config for problems."
"No problems found with the XFree86 configuration file."
"Preserve /etc/x11/xf86config just created (quit keeps file)?"  I
answered q

If the program didn't find any problems, but x still doesn't work, what
do I do now?

Thanks.