Re: Fancy features of Storm Linux

On Fri, Mar 10, 2000 at 07:38:11AM +0000, Phillip Deackes generated a stream of 1s and 0s:
> I cannot disagree more strongly!!!!!
>
> During install of Storm Linux you have the option to do a text isntall
> or a graphical install. Even if you choose the graphic install you have
> another option to go the advanced route if you wish. Choosing this you
> can choose exactly which partitions you wish to use for your root
> filesystem and your swap. You choose where other partitions are mounted
> and what they are to called by lilo. You choose whether they are
> formatted or not. What more do you want?!!!

I don't know if something has changed with Storm recently, but I tried
installing it just when it came out. Anyway, I tried text and graphical
installer, and neither let me do what I wanted it to do. I do not think
it is/was flexible enough.

> The 'gimmicky' loader adds some graphical content to the boot up
> process. Since when do MS have a monopoly on this? I have used 'plain'
> Debian (and a few other distros) for years and am quite comfortable with
> the the bash prompt, but I find Storm rather refreshing. Do you find the
> bash prompt aesthetically pleasing? Maybe you do. I would guess that
> most others do not. MS Windows has nothing to do with it whatsoever. It
> is a case of whether you like a graphical environment or not. Ford cars
> have tyres. You don't want to mimmick Ford so are you going to produce a
> car which doesn't have tyres just to be completely different? I think
> not.

I don't think MS has a monopoly on graphical installers. I don't really
find bash aesthetically pleasing, but comfortable indeed. I don't think
Storm is trying to mimmick MS either. I just think Storm is really
marketed to newbies coming from MS background, but is also suitable for
those who know what they're doing judging from their website. I don't
have a problem with people liking graphical installers, it's just rather
not important to me. I went from Slack to Red Hat to Mandrake to Debian, trying some other distros in the middle, but so far find Debian makes the most sense to me. Maybe I'll like some other distro in future, who knows. Though pretty pictures are OK with me, my priorities are functionality, flexibility, stability etc. of a distro rather than cosmetics (if only there was Debian with a FreeBSD kernel, yum!). Also I think all tools should be open and documented to the last bit, there must not be any ambiguities to what system is doing at any time. If you give me a graphical installer, you better provide damn fdisk, shell, and let create partitions anywhere/anyway I want them. As for Stormix, I do appreciate their front-end to apt/dpkg and SAS. Storm might become a great desktop distro.