Re: Potato Broke My X

On Wed, Mar 08, 2000 at 10:21:18PM -0500, Mike Werner wrote:

> I checked and it is in auto.  However, something puzzles me:
> HAL9000:~# update-alternatives --display x-window-manager
> x-window-manager - status is auto.
>  link currently points to /usr/bin/blackbox
> /etc/X11/window-managers - priority 50    <===== this line and ...
>  slave x-window-manager.1.gz: /usr/share/man/man1/blackbox.1.gz
> Current `best' version is /etc/X11/window-managers.   <===== this line
>
> Could the two lines I marked above have something to do with what
> happened?  I tried:
> HAL9000:~# update-alternatives --config x-window-manager
>
> There is only 1 program which provides x-window-manager
> (/etc/X11/window-managers). Nothing to configure.
>
> But checking the description for blackbox it says:
> HAL9000:~# grep-available -P -s Package,Provides blackbox
> Package: blackbox
> Provides: x-window-manager
>
> I'm getting more confused the more I dig into this.  I can't
> even figure out what package it was that put the /etc/X11/window-managers
> file there to begin with.
> HAL9000:~# dpkg -S /etc/X11/window-managers
> dpkg: /etc/X11/window-managers not found.

i believe it used to belong to xfree86-common, but i could be mistaken.

> What do I need to do now to get my system straightened out as to
> who is providing x-window-manager?

rm /etc/alternatives/x-window-manager
ln -s /usr/bin/blackbox /etc/alternatives/x-window-manager

(this puts it in manual mode, don't worry about it)

Also, you should file a bug against blackbox that the alternative should
point to the executable. i notice the same thing on my system (i use
wmaker, so i didn't notice earlier)

--
  finger for GPG public key.