Re: Where to specify fonts for which apps?

"Eric G . Miller" wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 07, 2000 at 10:30:35AM -0600, Kent West wrote:
> > Whenever I've got xfstt running, several apps have
> > menus, etc that use cursive, hard-to-read fonts.
> > For example, when I ctrl-right-click on an xterm
> > to bring up the fontsize menu, all the text in
> > that pop-up menu is hard-to-read cursive. Where do
> > I specify what fonts will be used in this pop-up
> > menu?
> >
> > Thanks!
>
> Many X apps have Xresource settings you can put in your ~/.Xresources
> (or ~/.Xdefaults in some lands...).  For instance, I have this for
> xterm:
>
> XTerm*background: black
> XTerm*foreground: gray90
> XTerm*font: 9x15
> XTerm*scrollBar: False
>
> Finding what the "Resources" are for a particular application can be
> difficult, although many will list them (and appropriate parameters) in
> there manpages.  The worst are the ones that say "The usual Xresources"
> or some such -- that isn't much help :).
>
> Happy hunting and pecking.
>
> Note: I find it strange that you have a lot of cursive fonts.  I don't
> think that would be a default set-up. Typically defaults are something
> bland like "fixed" or "helvetica" or "courier" -- and roman slant.

I find it to be odd also. I suspect that the default bland font (whatever it is and
wherever it's specified) is somehow broken, and is using the cursive font instead.

There's nothing in any Xdefaults or Xresources files (global or user) that seem to
have any bearing. I have done some more investigating; here's a snippet from my
XF86Config file:

    FontPath   "unix/:7101"
    FontPath   "unix/:7100"
    FontPath   "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi/"
    FontPath   "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi/:unscaled"
    FontPath   "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Type1/"

If I comment out the "unix/:7101" line, the problem goes away (of course, so do my
TT fonts).

Thanks, Eric, for the response; anyone else have any ideas?