Re: Where to specify fonts for which apps?

On Tue, Mar 07, 2000 at 10:30:35AM -0600, Kent West wrote:
> Whenever I've got xfstt running, several apps have
> menus, etc that use cursive, hard-to-read fonts.
> For example, when I ctrl-right-click on an xterm
> to bring up the fontsize menu, all the text in
> that pop-up menu is hard-to-read cursive. Where do
> I specify what fonts will be used in this pop-up
> menu?
>
> Thanks!

Many X apps have Xresource settings you can put in your ~/.Xresources
(or ~/.Xdefaults in some lands...).  For instance, I have this for
xterm:

XTerm*background: black
XTerm*foreground: gray90
XTerm*font: 9x15
XTerm*scrollBar: False

Finding what the "Resources" are for a particular application can be
difficult, although many will list them (and appropriate parameters) in
there manpages.  The worst are the ones that say "The usual Xresources"
or some such -- that isn't much help :).

Happy hunting and pecking.

Note: I find it strange that you have a lot of cursive fonts.  I don't
think that would be a default set-up. Typically defaults are something
bland like "fixed" or "helvetica" or "courier" -- and roman slant.

| Eric G. Miller                        egm2@jps.net |
| GnuPG public key: http://www.jps.net/egm2/gpg.asc  |