Re: How to add a user to a group on the fly

Kent West wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 06, 2000 at 17:31, Kent West wrote:
> > If I want to add my normal user (westk) to the
> > dialout group, I know I can (as root) edit the
> > /etc/group file and add westk to the end of the
> > dialout line. However, I then have to log out (and
> > shut down vmware and NT-on-vmware) and shut down
> > X, etc, then log back in and fire everything back
> > up in order to get the change to take affect. Is
> > there any way I can get the change to take affect
> > without logging out/logging back in?

John P. Foster suggested:
Hi!

Im not on the list, but I saw your post on the archives. Have you tried

su westk

This creates a new _login_ shell, but without logging out. If it works, post it to the list.

John P Foster
CompSports Pty Ltd

That does indeed serve as a work-around. It's a moot point for me now, since I finally went ahead and logged out/back in, but I'm posting this for future reference on the archives.