Re: Installing source lyx

Micha mentioned,
> I got the latest source for lyx from their site, because I need thw hebrew
> support thats installed there.
> The problem is, can someone tell me how to configure it to the right
> dirextories ( what are they ?) I got the source package for 1.1.4 from
> debian and I tired to copy the configure script from there, but t didn't
> work. I also got the diff, ( how do I apply it? )
> Is there a way that I can easilly package it so it can be later easily
> removed when the newer version comes out as a debian package ? ( I don't
> care if its packaged as 1.1.4, can I switch the sources and keep the diff
> and desc files and jsut pack it up somehow?)

The solution is not to debianize it at all.

Just untar it in /usr/src, cd to the lyx directory, apply the
patch (I'm not familiar with the particular patch, but usually
something like "patch -p1 < patchfile"), then do a ./configure which
defaults to installation in /usr/local, a make, and a make install.

If tghe version you wants ever comes out as a .deb, you can then remove
lyx and reLyX from /usr/local/bin, the man pages in /usr/local/man,
and /usr/local/share/lyx

hawk