fork failed: Resource temporarily unavailable

I'm having a very weird problem. I'm running potato, upgraded to the latest
version yesterday evening.

I'm logging in remotely, using ssh to a normal user on my box, and su to
root. Then, whatever command I type, I get:

fork failed: Resource temporarily unavailable

This happens both as root and as sashroot (root using sash instead of
bash) What's happening, and how can I fix it?

Cheers,

    Derk

Reply to the list or to "F.P. Groeneveld" <derk@cistron.nl>