Newbi window manager configure

Thank-you all.  I feel the frustration subsiding.  Also the notes on density
of text etc.
appreciated.

>Trick:  http://localhost/doc/ should point to your documentation
    Love that!

>Once your system has booted, you can run the command "dmesg" to capture the
kernel ring buffer output.  This should include all boot messages (other
than hardware device output).  You can also read from /var/log/<foo> for
other diagnostics.  I'd start with /var/log/messages and /var/log/kern.log
    That's working for me too.

How long is "a few minutes"?  X often spins for a while before it dies, I
suppose this depends on what clients you're trying to start up.  I haven't
tried launching a Gnome or KDE session on top of an active X session, but it
could conceivably take 30-60+ seconds for them to wake up enough to realise
they were dead.
    I think you are right on with this.  It may be more like two minutes
though.

 Hmm. I did find my .X0-lock where it says so. Remember that 'dotfiles'
..anything only show to the 'ls -a' command.  Do try reinserting the
commented out lines. They probably are there for a purpose. :)  >
    The problem is that I don't know what belongs in there.  The file when
I've had access to it was empty.

in general you shouldn't be doing this with root. Make a user account and
use that instead
    That's been done already.  On the other hand, I'm making a lot of
changes and I'm always back and forth.  I expect that the habit of being
"root" is not something I'd want to cultivate.

Thanks a whole bunch.  Now.... sleep.
        Cheers!  Ian.

N 49 12' 30"
W 96 53' 45"