Re: Should I use squid?

On Sat, 19 Feb 2000, Christian Dysthe wrote:
> would I gain anything by setting up, and configure my browser to
> use squid as a proxy on my workstation.

I don't think so.
Here in my place, I use Squid on a Linux dial-up router, used for
connecting to the Internet via 28.8K modem. I have set up NAT on the
router, and the users on the LAN can share the modem (up to 7 users can
browse comfortably).

IMHO, if you intend to install Squid for your own use, I think it wouldn't
be that useful (taking up resources with not much gain). In addition to
it, if the connection is down, you wouldn't be able to use all the data
already exist in the Squid's cache. I believe that "wwwoffle" would be
much better for personal use. (BTW, I haven't tried this, some of my
friends on a mailing list done it).

Oki