OpenSSH over old nonfree

On a local potato I just installed ssh 1.2.2-1 and clicked through all the
warnings about installing it over the old non-free ssh. Since I was unable
to log into the old sshd, I figured I had nothing to lose.

Now I am still unable to log in from other local machines. From one of
these, a new ftp install of potato, I get an error message:

ssh_exchange_identification: read: No such file or directory

Has anyone seen this?

Logging in from this other local box, an up-to-date OpenBSD, I get the same
error as before, namely:

read: undefined error: 0

btw, the ssh client on the machine in question works fine, on both local
and remote systems.

--
Bob Bernstein                     http://www.ruptured-duck.com
at