Re: OpenSSH over old nonfree

> On a local potato I just installed ssh 1.2.2-1 and clicked through all
> the warnings about installing it over the old non-free ssh. Since I was
> unable to log into the old sshd, I figured I had nothing to lose.

that is probably symptamatic of another problem though.  the old sshd works
just fine for me (and always has).  if it didn't work i suspect something is
wonky with your setup.

> ssh_exchange_identification: read: No such file or directory

what are you using for your cipher?  i'm not sure why ciphers that openssh
supports but blowfish should be supported by everything.

> Has anyone seen this?
>
> Logging in from this other local box, an up-to-date OpenBSD, I get the same
> error as before, namely:
>
> read: undefined error: 0

i did have this problem and i figured out what was wrong ... and i can't
remember what it was ... it was a minor config error.  one thing i had to
fix was the path the the sshd_config file in /etc/ssh.

> btw, the ssh client on the machine in question works fine, on both local
> and remote systems.

i removed openssh because of a different problem.  i could connect to a
remote computers fine, but the second time i tried to connect i would get
the warning that the hostkey didn't match ... i didn't have the time to
figure out what was going wrong so i reverted.

i also had problems logging into my box with openssh but i think that was
because portsentry took over port 22 during the upgrade (doh!).

adam.