Rationale behind the groups "dip" and "dialout"

Hi there,

I recently configured PPP and everything works well.  However, I do have
a question:

In the standard Debian (slink) install, the groups "dip" and "dialout"
are created.
dialout is used for dialout-devices (eg /dev/ttyS*, /dev/isdn*, ...)
while dip is used for a couple of pppd files (/etc/ppp/*,
/usr/sbin/pppd, ...).

What's the reason behind that policy?

And a side note: Wasn't it possible to configure pppd not to be setuid
root?  I think I read that somewhere, but I can't find it in the
PPP-HOWTO.

MfG, Viktor
--
Viktor Rosenfeld