Re: using power save and power down features

On 18-Feb-2000, Horacio MG <homega@ciberia.es> wrote:

> > > 2) For X I have in the Section "Screen" of /etc/X11/XF86Config the lines
> > >
> > >         StandbyTime             2
> > >         SuspendTime             3
> > >         OffTime                 4
> > >
> > > You might need other/more configuration if you are using a laptop.
>
> Just had a look at my /etc/X11/XF86Config file, looking for those lines
> and realized that I have 'Section "Screen"' defined four times:
>
> Section "Screen"
>    Driver          "Accel"
>    Device          "video"
>    Monitor         "monitor"
> Section "Screen"
>    Driver          "SVGA"
>    Device          "Generic VGA"
>    Monitor         "monitor"
> Section "Screen"
>    Driver          "VGA16"
>    Device          "Generic VGA"
>    Monitor         "monitor"
> Section "Screen"
>    Driver          "VGA2"
>    Device          "Generic VGA"
>    Monitor         "monitor"
>
> ... and for all four:
>
>    BlankTime       0
>    SuspendTime     0
>    OffTime         0
>
> ... and 'Section "Device"' is defined twice.  In /etc/X11/Xserver I
> have: /usr/X11R6/bin/XF86_S3V

This means that you have to use the 'Driver "Accel"' section, as you are
using an accelerated Xserver, while "SVGA" is for the SVGA Xserver and
so on.

> Now, is BlankTime = StandbyTime?

No blank time is the time at which the screen turns black but is still
using all its power (to prevent burn in I assume).