Re: deleting getty

On Sat, Feb 12, 2000 at 08:18:51AM -0500, Henry White wrote:
> I was about to do apt-get -f dist-upgrade from slink to woody
> when I got this:
>
> WARNING: The following essential packages will be removed
> This should NOT be done unless you know exactly what you are doing!
>   getty
> 143 packages upgraded, 34 newly installed, 3 to remove and 1 not upgraded.
> 2 packages not fully installed or removed.
> Need to get 35.0MB of archives. After unpacking 21.9MB will be used.
> You are about to do something potentially harmful
> To continue type in the phrase 'Yes, I understand this may be bad'
> [?]
>
> Curiously, getty is the latest version. So what's the secret to getting
> around this problem?

It appears that getty is now a part of util-linux, as of version
2.7.1-1. The current version in woody (2.10f-2) has Conflicts and
Replaces lines for getty.

Maybe apt-get should realize the Replaces and make note of it.
"util-linux claims to replace getty" or something similar.

--
  finger for GPG public key.
  8 Jan 2000 - Old email addresses removed from key, new added