deleting getty

I was about to do apt-get -f dist-upgrade from slink to woody
when I got this:

WARNING: The following essential packages will be removed
This should NOT be done unless you know exactly what you are doing!
  getty
143 packages upgraded, 34 newly installed, 3 to remove and 1 not upgraded.
2 packages not fully installed or removed.
Need to get 35.0MB of archives. After unpacking 21.9MB will be used.
You are about to do something potentially harmful
To continue type in the phrase 'Yes, I understand this may be bad'
[?]

Curiously, getty is the latest version. So what's the secret to getting
around this problem?

--

Henry White
mailto:henryw@gte.net