Re: help

On Thu, Feb 10, 2000 at 09:25:54PM -0500, Dennis Howard wrote:
: I am trying to install Debian Linux onto one of my computers.  This one is
: an Intel 486DX-33 with 8MB ram and 170 MB harddrive. I am using an ALI vga
: video card ( I also tried an ATI vga card).
: When I boot it using the rescue disk, it starts, loads root.bin, loads
: linus, uncompresses linux and boots the kernel. A page of cryptic info comes
: on the screen and the last line reads
:
: 'checking "hit" instruction',
:
:  then the screen goes blank and the system reboots. This happens booting
: from floppy and from hard drive using Loadlin.
: The floppy boots my pentium no problen and the installation procedure
: starts.
: Anybody know what the problem might be when it is 'checking "hit"
: instruction'?

From the BootPrompt HOWTO (I found mine at
http://debian.midco.net/doc/HOWTO/BootPrompt-HOWTO-3.html#ss3.5):

| The `no-hlt' Argument
|
| The i386 (and successors thereof) family of CPUs have a `hlt'
| instruction which tells the CPU that nothing is going to happen until
| an external device (keyboard, modem, disk, etc.) calls upon the CPU to
| do a task. This allows the CPU to enter a `low-power' mode where it
| sits like a zombie until an external device wakes it up (usually via
| an interrupt). Some of the early i486DX-100 chips had a problem
| with the `hlt' instruction, in that they couldn't reliably return to
| operating mode after this instruction was used. Using the `no-hlt'
| instruction tells Linux to just run an infinite loop when there is
| nothing else
| to do, and to not halt your CPU when there is no activity. This allows
| people with these broken chips to use Linux, although they would be
| well advised to seek a replacement through a warranty where
| possible.

So, I'd try "linux no-hlt" at the syslinux prompt and see how that
goes.

Cheers,

--
Nathan Norman                    Network Magician, Eclectic Engineer
GPG Key ID 1024D/51F98BB7                       "Eschew Obfuscation"