Re: help

On Thu, 10 Feb 2000, dennis said,
> I am trying to install Debian Linux onto one of my computers.  This one is
> an Intel 486DX-33 with 8MB ram and 170 MB harddrive. I am using an ALI vga
> video card ( I also tried an ATI vga card).
> When I boot it using the rescue disk, it starts, loads root.bin, loads
> linus, uncompresses linux and boots the kernel. A page of cryptic info comes
> on the screen and the last line reads
>
> 'checking "hit" instruction',
>
>  then the screen goes blank and the system reboots. This happens booting
> from floppy and from hard drive using Loadlin.
> The floppy boots my pentium no problen and the installation procedure
> starts.
> Anybody know what the problem might be when it is 'checking "hit"
> instruction'?
The message is actually "Checking 'hlt' instruction..." and it is something to
do with cpu instructions.  I'm not too familiar with debugging cpu problems,
but that seems to be what you've got.  You may be SOL with your 486.

I'm sorry I can't be of more help, but my 486 has been a doorstop for so long
that I'm sure I'd have trouble attempting to replicate this one.

Please keep me updated though, as I'm curious about this.

thanks

-ptw