help

I am trying to install Debian Linux onto one of my computers.  This one is
an Intel 486DX-33 with 8MB ram and 170 MB harddrive. I am using an ALI vga
video card ( I also tried an ATI vga card).
When I boot it using the rescue disk, it starts, loads root.bin, loads
linus, uncompresses linux and boots the kernel. A page of cryptic info comes
on the screen and the last line reads

'checking "hit" instruction',

 then the screen goes blank and the system reboots. This happens booting
from floppy and from hard drive using Loadlin.
The floppy boots my pentium no problen and the installation procedure
starts.
Anybody know what the problem might be when it is 'checking "hit"
instruction'?
Thanking you in advance for your time and response.
dennishoward@sprint.ca