Re: Opera

On 06-Feb-00 Johann Spies wrote:

> I have tried opera but I am not impressed by it.  I have trouble to read
> local files using it and it just fails on some web sites
> eg. http://24.com (which I can browse easily with netscape and even
> mozilla).

Opera certainly does require X.  Check the Opera site at http://www.opera.com.

Also note that Opera for Linux is still, basically, an alpha release, although
they call it something the Opera people admit that.  They specifically say that
it is not currently able to reliably handle local files.  This is rough
software with quite a way to go before it reaches Prime Time.  I have not used
the Linux version, although I did use the Windows version for a while.  I was
not really impressed with the Windows version, but I will try the Linux version
when it is ready.  I would love to be able to uninstall Netscape, libc5 and
everything else that is taking up space on my HD that is only there to support
Netscape.

Marc Shapiro                             http://www.bigfoot.com/~m_shapiro/
 -- Linux IS user-friendly.  It is just picky about who its friends are.