Re: ARGH! "Frozen" is back....

Mike Werner <reznaeous@earthlink.net> writes:
> On Wed, Feb 09, 2000 at 03:04:05PM -0800, Joe Emenaker wrote:
> > When the last Debian release was coming up, I had deselect downloading from
> > stable, frozen, and unstable. Then, some time ago, 'frozen' went away. This
> > caused dselect to complain a lot when updating package lists. So, I just
> > finished taking the 'frozen' parts out of all of my
> > /var/lib/dpkg/methods/ftp/vars files on all of my servers when..... boom,
> > 'frozen' is back.
> >
> > So here's a thought: After each release, can we just keep 'frozen' pointed
> > to the dist (ie, 'woody', 'potato', 'slink', etc.), even though 'stable' is
> > also now pointing to it, too?
>
> Why not just point apt at the *name* of the release that you want?
>
> deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian potato main contrib non-free
> deb http://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US potato/non-US main contrib non-free
>
> This way you don't have to worry about it.

I assume this works fine now, with apt, because I've seen a couple of
people recommend it, but there used to be a problem with this method
because the "Packages" file referred to the the "status" release name,
eg., stable, frozen, unstable, rather than the name. I know the
Packages file still does this, eg.,

Package: 3dchess
Filename: dists/frozen/main/binary-i386/games/3dchess_0.8.1-4.deb
                ^^^^^^

but perhaps apt-get can "figure it out"? Maybe the trouble I
experienced came before the apt-get days?

Gary