I used xf86config to try to create an x platform, and with the failure of earlier attempts, reduced the screen choices. Lo and behold, when I just boot up, I came up to a screen (somewhat inelegant) with a big fat x toward the middle, but with the mouse and keyboard otherwise apparently frozen

Earlier today on reading a related post, I downloaded XFree86 3.3.6 which seems to provide new support for my NVIDIA GeForce graphics card

I'd now like to install it

How to I get in and delete enough of the earlier install to get back a command line. I assume the way to start is by booting via a floppy

Then what?

David