Re: Unstable kernel question

> Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2000 08:51:17 -0800 (PST)
> From: aphro <nate@firetrail.com>
> To: Rick Macdonald <rickmacd@home.com>
> cc: debian-user@lists.debian.org
> Subject: Re: Unstable kernel question
>
> On Tue, 8 Feb 2000, Rick Macdonald wrote:
>
> rickma >I wonder if this is my problem? I just built 2.2.14 on potato, but it
> rickma >fails to boot. It just hangs after saying "OK, boot kernel now". I built
> rickma >it with 2.95. Maybe I'll see if the gcc272 package can co-exist with the
> rickma >gcc (2.95) package. Then, one would need to tell the kernel make which
> rickma >compiler to use.
>
> yeah thats probably the problem..  if u figure out how to get them to co
> exist lemme know compiling kernels is about the only thing keeping me from
> upgrading my compiler.. i tried manual co existance with self installed
> compilers and used links for cc, gcc g++ c++ to point to the real binaries
> but it was a pain to do and i never remembered which one i had it set to.

	All you do is install gcc272 (apt-get install gcc272). This
installs a binary called gcc272, which you then feed into the kernel's
Makefile (read: substitute gcc for gcc272). However, 2.95 seems to
compile kernels fine. I have used it for a couple of months for other
boxes, and it was fine. I have kernel problems now, but I don't think
they're due to the compiler...
--
José L Gómez Dans			PhD student
					Radar & Communications Group