dselect 192.168.1.1 -> Fool Cries Wolf...

Attn: Readers, repliers...

I posted a request for support on this list earlier today (Tuesday, Feb 8th),

regarding dselect.  I must apologise for overlooking the source of the
problem,
which was nothing to do with dselect, but the difference between home
directories for various users of the FTP service on my Redhat server.  Of
course,  dselect accesses the FTP server as 'anonymous', which defaults to
the /home/ftp directory, and not the root directory or the user's home dir.

By remounting the partition containing the debian tree within the
/home/ftp/pub directory, (not knowing how to change the default anonymous ftp
dir yet), the
dselect program immediately sussed out what I wanted it to do and the
installation
proceeded as planned - and surprisingly quickly in comparison to the usual
CD installations I have become used to.  Both machines are Pentiums (90 and
100Mhz), using SMC 21041 PCI (tulip) cards and RG-58.  The 150 Mb
transfer, extraction and installation was seemingly faster by around 200%
than
the win95 FTP client simply downloads similar sized transfers.  Now I'm
going to do it again with a clock 2Bshure.  Anyway...

Sorry for jumping the gun.  Believe it or not, I'd never tried accessing my
own
server as an anonymous user until today.  *wipes egg from face*.  Hopefully,
the fact that my original post is yet to be published will help to avoid
anyone
answering for no reason.

Oh, and btw, speaking of PCI cards, Debian is the only kernel I have managed
to run on my Phoenix (4.04?) BIOS on the old 90Mhz box.  Mandrake 6.0,
Redhat 6.1, and Caldera 2.3 all crash when loading the bundled kernel from
the
CD, regardless of any BIOS settings I tried.  The 100Mhz server with AMI BIOS

runs fine using 'auto-configure' settings, but on the 90,  the system appears
to lock after displaying a status message about PCI, although I don't recall
it exactly.   The
fact that the Debian kernel works must mean that either I DID get the IRQ's
right,
or it's very forgiving ...  I hope Debian's 2.2 kernel is as forgiving, and
wish the same for this user list.

Sincere apologies,

Sean Moran
Fremantle,