regframe, XFCom_Rage128, LD_PRELOAD and acroread interaction

I've installed the redhat xrage and regframe packages so that I
can run the XFCom_Rage128 X server on a slink machine.  The
server needs the regframe library to be preloaded, so I've added
"/lib/libregframe.so" to /etc/ld.so.preload.  A consequence of
this is that acroread segfaults when started.  I can get around
this by removing /etc/ld.so.preload and running startx after
exporting LD_PRELOAD=/lib/libregframe.so.  Then, once X is
running, I can unset LD_PRELOAD from within a terminal window and
run acroread with no trouble.

What I'd like to do is use xdm with LD_PRELOAD set for the
server, but not for subprocesses that are started by my window
manager.  Where can I set an environment variable for the X
server so that I don't have to use /etc/ld.so.preload or startx?

Mike