Re: Q:Kernel version and insmod refusal

On Fri, Feb 04, 2000 at 12:22:34PM +0000, Tony wrote:
> I am running/installing a Debian 2.1 distribution that came packaged with the
> O'Reilly book "Learning Debian GNU/Linux". I guess this is Slink.
>
> I have been trying to install the module support for a 3905 3com ethernet
> card. 3Com supply the driver as c code; I compile this and then try to do
> insmod 3905x.0. This command returns:
> 390x.o was compiled for kernel version 2.0.36 whilst this kernel is 2.2.12.
>
> uname tells me that I am indeed running 2.2.12

As you may know, the glibc headers require kernel headers in order to
function properly. Debian includes a known-stable set of headers, from
kernel 2.0.36 in the case of slink. This doesn't cause trouble in most
cases, but things can go wrong when compiling kernel modules or other
things that depend on a specific kernel version.

You'll have to change the compilation options when trying to compile the
module. Try replacing "-I/usr/include" with "-I/usr/src/linux/include"
(or just adding the latter) if your kernel sources are in the usual
place.  Otherwise, you'll have to get help from someone who has compiled
the module before.

The problem is that 3Com assumes that /usr/include/linux and
/usr/include/asm are symlinks into the current kernel sources. Most
distributions do this, but Debian doesn't. There's a README in
kernel-headers-* that explains the situation very well (it's also in
kernel-package, look for README.headers somewhere in /usr)

--
  finger for GPG public key.
  8 Jan 2000 - Old email addresses removed from key, new added