Re: Q:Kernel version and insmod refusal

On Fri, Feb 04, 2000 at 12:22:34PM +0000, Tony wrote:
[]
> I have been trying to install the module support for a 3905 3com ethernet
> card. 3Com supply the driver as c code; I compile this and then try to do
> insmod 3905x.0. This command returns:
> 390x.o was compiled for kernel version 2.0.36 whilst this kernel is 2.2.12.

> When I asked 3com about this, they suggested I recompile my kernel and try
> again. I did this, with exactly the same results.
Whoever you talked to wasn't very helpful. You must compile a 2.2.12 module.

Unless there are particular problems with the driver that is all ready
included with the kernel, you don't need to get the driver from 3com.
The driver you need appears to be under (after make menuconfig)
Network device support->Ethernet (10 or 100Mbit)->< > 3c590/3c900 series.

If this doesn't make sense, search for previous posts on compiling the
kernel.

Regards,
Mark.