Q:Kernel version and insmod refusal

Hello,

I am running/installing a Debian 2.1 distribution that came packaged with the
O'Reilly book "Learning Debian GNU/Linux". I guess this is Slink.

I have been trying to install the module support for a 3905 3com ethernet
card. 3Com supply the driver as c code; I compile this and then try to do
insmod 3905x.0. This command returns:
390x.o was compiled for kernel version 2.0.36 whilst this kernel is 2.2.12.

uname tells me that I am indeed running 2.2.12

When I asked 3com about this, they suggested I recompile my kernel and try
again. I did this, with exactly the same results.

So where does insmod get the information about the version for which the
driver was compiled, and how can I change this?

with appreciation,

Tony CP